“Teach Me Tonight"
Season 2, Episode 19
Original airing: April 30, 2002
My Rating: 66
- Prime flirting scenes between Jess and Rory. I especially enjoy watching him slowly charm her even as she's annoyed with him.
- The destruction of the car Dean made for Rory is the perfect choice.
- Kirk's film and all the movie in the square stuff is very funny.
- Rory getting injured is a good way for Christopher and Lorelai to makeup.
- It's all a perfect catalyst for the schism between Lorelai and Luke. Whenever one thing's up, another thing's down.
- The TV-logic of the hospital scene just really bugs me. We'll take some extra X-rays? Really? And how can Stars Hollow support a whole hospital?
- The structure of this episode feels a bit off to me, almost meandering. The movie-night plot takes up most of the front end of the episode although it's largely unimportant. Rather than feeling like a B plot that happens concurrently, it feels like a whole different episode. Then, when I'm interested to hear from Rory how she's feeling, instead the focus is on Christopher (a subplot that feels slightly tacked on) and I can't fully enjoy Kirk's movie because the tone of the show has gone from wacky to extremely dramatic.
Jess and Rory in the car
The Bottom Line:
If you like to see Jess be charming and doomed, this is definitely one of the best episodes for that.