“P.S. I Lo…”
Season 1, Episode 20
Original airing: May 03, 2001
My Rating: 70
- All the conflict here comes from a believable character-based place. I especially appreciate how the conflicts have been building for several episodes, and even little details like Rory having a room at her grandparents were already established in previous episodes.
- Mrs. Kim hounding Dean was a great bit of comedic relief. So was Richard’s confusion and happiness at Rory’s arrival interrupting an event he didn’t want to go to.
- Lorelai continuing to try to help Luke and Rachel’s relationship (but still making things awkward) worked pretty well here and was much more natural than her involvement last episode. I liked seeing her manic and excited over her purchases, and Luke had a lot of great lines like how he thought his credit card looked tired.
- It’s such a small thing, but it really bugs me how the show consistently mucks up the timeline. If the science-partner scene was on Wednesday (as the characters stated several times that it was) then Rory would have run away Thursday which means she would have been picked up Friday. But, when Lorelai picks her up, everyone says they'll see each other the next night for Friday Night Dinner. All of this could be fixed if they just called the original day Tuesday instead of Wednesday. Honestly!
- I don’t have a lot bad to say about this episode, but there weren’t any really magic, classic, or memorable moments either.
Richard: “Rory, I’m sorry you’re upset, but I applaud your timing.” Edward Herrmann passed away on New Year’s Eve. This scene and his delivery of this line in particular are perfect examples of how his subtle humor often steals the show. His talent was a gift to us all. May he rest in peace.
The Bottom Line:
This episode successfully accomplishes all it tries to accomplish, but doesn’t really sing.