Monday, January 12, 2015

Célèste's Review of S1E21 "Love, Daisies and Troubadours"


“Love, Daisies and Troubadours”
Season 1, Episode 21
Original airing: May 10, 2001

My Rating: 73

The Good:
  • The Luke stuff really works for me here. I especially like the scene where Lorelai talks to Luke in her kitchen. The actress playing Rachel gives her best performance in the scene where she leaves, really selling the line, “You told be once and you could barely get it out then.”
  • Seeing Rory struggle to tell Dean how she felt provided a lot of humor and heart. There was some inconsistency with Rory’s relationship to Tristan (they seemed to be on better terms last I saw), but the scene with Dean works really well. I’m not usually a big fan of Dean, and I think the P.J. Harvey song has a lot to do with me liking this moment, but it really worked for me.
  • The yellow daisies scene was exactly what it should be: surprising and romantic.

The Bad:
  • It’s starting to really hurt the show that Max hasn’t been better integrated into the full season. As awesome as the yellow daisy scene is, the relationship at this point is based on only a few episode.
  •  Rachel seeing that Luke is in love with Lorelai is another thing that should have been set up earlier and more consistently.

Favorite Moment:
The daisy scene: the image is striking and iconic, and Max’s speech is perfect.

The Bottom Line:
A great finale to season one, it could only be improved by better integrating Max into the overall season from the beginning.

No comments:

Post a Comment