“Lorelai's Graduation Day"
Season 2, Episode 21
Original airing: May 14, 2002
My Rating: 75
- It's great to see Rory and Jess's relationship still moving forward despite him leaving town. I enjoyed all their banter, and it was really cool to see them struggle through the awkwardness of his call and her impassive decision to come see him. Their connection is so strong that, even though they can't seem to say what they mean to say to each other, they just keep trying, and it's great to watch.
- Lorelai's parents seeing her graduate (and her seeing their reaction) was priceless.
- It's nice to see plots with Sookie, Luke, Christopher, and Lane continuing through the episode, even though they aren't the focus.
- Lorelai has finally taken off her Dean-good-Jess-bad blinders and can intuit what's going on with Rory and give her good advice. Thank God!
- The plot line involving the other graduates was such a bummer of a waste of time. It wasn't funny and it wasn't believable that Lorelai would care at all what they thought of her. Maybe the story could have worked if it had gone somewhere by the end, but as it was it seemed stuck in just for laughs and the laughs just weren't there.
- Rory playing "business deal" with her grandparents was cute at first but jumped the shark toward the end when she called them "Emily" and "Richard."
- The final scene could have been stronger. Something about the wiring and maybe Alexis Bledel's performance just went over the top in places.
Lorelai finds Jess in the park
The Bottom Line:
This episode is an absolute must see. Both Rory and Lorelai have gripping plot lines.