“I Can't Get Started"
Season 2, Episode 22
Original airing: May 21, 2002
My Rating: 77
- Paris's speech was great, especially at the end when the small group of students seems unmoved and she deflates a little.
- There were lots of great comedy moments including:
- Lorelai sneaking Jordan almonds
- Kirk's scene in Luke's
- Sookie's freakout
- Jackson's, "Apparently there's a long-standing tradition where the men in my family get very airy on the big day!"
- The scene between Jess and Luke was very nice. The moment where Luke walks into the apartment and the audience sees Jess before Luke does was very well done.
- Jess and Rory's kiss scene was perfectly executed from her (literal and metaphorical) big step to his enthusiastic response and easy promise to keep it a secret. Her running off and shouting, "Welcome home!" over he shoulder was classic Rory.
- The final moment of the episode is excellently executed as well. Rory is out of breath and covering for herself by mentioning Washington, which is the furthest thing from the audience's mind. She's also so wrapped up in what just happened that she doesn't notice the pain on Lorelai's face. In this moment, they are both performing, but neither of them knows they aren't alone in it.
- There are problems with the Christopher stuff throughout. Everything is executed fairly well, but the audience just isn't invested in this relationship and it never seems believable that they would actually get together.
- Christopher driving down for Rory's cast removal makes zero sense.
- The pregnancy feels more like a soapy TV cliché than an organic character conflict, especially given that Christopher has gotten someone pregnant before and Sherry is a very precise planner.
Rory hollers, "Welcome home!" over her shoulder as she runs away from Jess.
The Bottom Line:
Despite the fact that a lot of this episode is concerned with Lorelai and Christopher getting together, it is still a great finale with a lot of laughs and a lot of drama.